In the next 2 years, Volkswagen will enter a number of segment and also update their current lineup as well.
Volkswagen India has limited cars in their lineup in India as of now. But in the next few months only, the carmakers will foray into a number of high sale churning segments as well along with updating their current stock of cars as well.
Here is a list of 7 upcoming Volkswagen cars in India in 2021 to 2022:
1. 2021 Volkswagen T-Roc
Volkswagen T-Roc was launched in India back on March 18, 2020 and was brought in as CBU and 1,000 cars were brought to India which got sold out in no time.
Now the carmakers will be bringing second batch of the SUV whose deliveries will begin from April 2021. While the carmakers revealed that the SUV’s second batch is also completely booked in India even before the arrival of second batch to our shores.
- Price: 2021 Volkswagen T Roc is expected to carry a price sticker of Rs 21.35 lakhs which translates into Rs 1.36 lakh higher over the 2020 model.
- Features: No new features are going to be added in 2021 VW T Roc. Top features are digital instrument cluster, panoramic sunroof, dual zone ac, 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, front and rear parking sensors, TPMS, 6 airbags, ABS with EBD and ESP.
- Engine Specs: VW T-Roc continues to plonk in same 1.5-litre TSI petrol engine with Active Cylinder Technology. This unit paired to 7 Speed DSG gearbox generates 148 BHP and 250 NM of peak torque.
- Launch Date: Volkswagen T-Roc 2021 will be officially launched in India on April 1 with delivering commencing from the same month.
2. 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace
The second batch of VW Tiguan AllSpace is all set to arrive soon in India. It will brought as CBU in limited numbers. The 7 Seater Tiguan will not have changes inside out except for pricing.
- Price: Currently available in a single variant, priced at Rs 33.25 Lakhs (Ex Showroom), the second hatch of the 7 seater SUV might get a price hike.
- Features: No new features are going to be added in 2021 VW Tiguan AllSpace. Top features are 3 zone climate control system, auto headlamps, auto dimming IRVM, 8 speakers, 18-inch alloys, LED ambient lighting, panoramic sunroof, heated and memory function for power adjustable ORVMs, powered front seats, 7 airbags, TPMS and much more.
- Engine Specs: VW Tiguan AllSpace employs 2.0-litre TSI petrol engine which has output figures of 187 BHP and 320 NM. 7 Speed DSG gearbox is the sole transmission choice that sends power to all four wheels.
- Launch Date: The 2nd batch of VW’s flagship car in India, Tiguan AllSpace will arrive by second quarter of 2021, most probably by April end or early May 2021.
3. Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift
VW Tiguan was earlier on sale in India with Diesel engine option and it got discontinued in accordance with the carmakers plans to phase out Diesel engine from its BS 6 lineup. Now the carmakers by bringing the SUV back in its facelifted version with new heart and will even be locally assembled at their Chakan plant.
- Exterior: The SUV will get a updated grille as well as bumper design. The headlamp do look stylish in its new look as well. Alloys will carry a new design as well. Tail lights are sleepers than before.
- Interior & Features: The interior layout feels more or less the same. It gets all new three spoke steering, touch based AC controls, digital instrument cluster. Touchscreen system is expected to grow in size ad will get connected car technology. Wireless charging would also be a direct lift from the 7 seater Tiguan AllSpace.
- Engine Specs: VW Tiguan will borrow 2.0-litre TSI petrol engine from Tiguan AllSpace which produces 187 BHP and 320 NM of torque. 7 Speed DCT will be on offer.
- Expected Price: Since the SUV will be locally assembled this time around, expected the 2021 Tiguan facelift to be priced between Rs 26 lakhs and Rs 29 lakhs (Ex Showroom).
- Launch Date: Facelift Volkswagen Tiguan will reach the dealerships by mid 2021, launch most likely in June 2021.
4. Volkswagen Taigun
VW will take on the likes of Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos with its Taigun SUV. Taigun was also showcased at the Auto Expo 2020. Here are all the details:
- Exterior: Taigun looks bigs on outside. Upfront the SUV features big size headlamp unit incorporating LED Projector lights with DRLs integrating with the two slat front grille. Lower bumper is finished in piano black and silver skid are offered which adds to the character.
- Wheels looks snazzy and are to expected to be 17-inchers for the higher trims. The rear look stands out from the rivals. It features connected LED tail lights which are eye catching.
- Interior: Taigun will have dual tone cabin theme with contrasting accents seen on multiple areas. Steering wheel is flat bottomed while digital instrument panel is a direct lift from T-Roc. Expect the infotainment system to be around 10-inches. Electric sunroof will ensure airiness inside the cabin.
- Dimensions: VW Taigun will have dimensions close to Skoda Kushaq. Wheelbase is 2651 mm, ground clearance 188 mm while other specifications will be close to soon to be launched Skoda Kushaq SUV.
- Platform: Taigun is going to be underpinned by localised version of MQB A0 platform, that is, MQB A0 IN setup which will also form base with the Kushaq SUV. The platform will be quite rigid and flexible and will ensure higher safety rating.
- Engine Options: Along with the underpinnings, Taigun and Kushaq are also going to share powertrains.
First one here will be 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine with output figures of 113 BHP and 175 NM. Gearbox options here are 6 speed manual and automatic.
1.5-litre TSI Petrol with ACT is a direct rival of Korean SUVs 1.4-litre T-GDI unit and for Taigun, the turbo petrol makes 148 BHP and 250 NM of torque. Transmission choices here are 6 Speed MT / 7 Speed DSG.
- Features: To compete with the high feature laden Korean cousins, the new entrants have to be best in terms of equipment list and VW is loading Taigun up to the brim in terms of features.
The SUV will boast 6 airbags, electric sunroof, digital instrument cluster, wireless charging, front ventilated seats, automatic climate control, front ventilated seats, leather seats, push button start, connected car technology, ESP, Traction control.
- Expected Price: Volkswagen Taigun’s pricing will be cut to cut to Creta and Seltos. Expected to carry a introductory price of Rs 10 lakhs, the top end trim is going to cost you around Rs 16 lakhs (Ex Showroom).
- Launch Date: Volkswagen will launch Taigun in India in third quarter of 2021 before festive season, most probably in September.
5. Volkswagen Virtus (Vento Replacement)
Volkswagen’s Vento replacement is likely to be called Virtus and current gen Vento will continue alongside the upcoming mid size sedan.
- Exterior: Virtus will have contemporary exterior design. The headlamp unit is now sleek which meets the front grille with single slat. Bumpers at front and rear bumpers will be updated while at the front the sedan is likely to get LED fog lights.
Other visual highlights are new alloy design, LED tail lights while sharp cuts and creases flow from the front fender and ends on the tail lamps.
- Interior: Virtus will feature premium cabin over the pleasant and plain interiors of Vento. Steering wheel will be similar to one seen in Vento while everything apart format will be new. It has got a layered dashboard. Overall interior theme will be dual tone and quality of material is going to be top notch.
- Dimensions: VW Virtus will be longer and will have a longer wheelbase than Vento. Other dimensions are expected to incur change as well.
- Platform: Virtus will share platform with upcoming crop of vehicles from Skoda-Volkswagen Group which is MQB A0 IN platform and there will be high localisation of parts close to 95%.
- Features: Over the vento, it will be loaded with electric sunroof, digital instrument cluster, ambient lighting, 10-inch touchscreen system with wireless phone projection, connected car technology, push button start with keyless entry among others.
- Engine Options: 2021 VW Virtus will have two petrol engines on offer. Presently, Vento comes with 1.0 TSI Petrol unit with 109 BHP and 175 NM. This engine will continue with same gearbox choices of 6 speed manual and automatic.
While the other one will comes from upcoming Taigun mid size SUV. The 1.5-litre turbo petrol engine which produces 148 BHP and 250 NM paired to either 6 Speed MT or 7 Speed DSG will be the most powerful petrol engine in the segment.
Expected Price: For the 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine, Vento retails between Rs 8.69 lakhs and Rs 13.68 lakhs and for upcoming vento replacement, you can expect premium tag. Virtus price is expected to start from Rs 8.8 lakhs while the top model will somewhere cost around Rs 15.5 lakhs. Both the sedans will continue side by side for a while after which Vento will be removed from the lineup.
- Launch Date: Virtus is expected to reach the dealerships in the first quarter of 2022 while the Skoda Rapid replacement will be an early launch, confirmed for the last quarter of this year.
6. Volkswagen ID.4
Volkswagen’s ID.4 will be the first EV by the carmakers for the Indian market. Also it was showcased at Auto Expo 2020 in form of I.D. Crozz concept. Production spec ID.4 was revealed back in September 2020 and launch timeline was detailed as well. Here are all the details:
- Exterior: front fascia is dominated by sleek LED Projector headlamps with wraparound LED DRLs running across the width of the carmakers. It gets wide, central air intakes as well.
The side profile features strong character lines, body cladding. To reduce aerodynamic drag, the SUV gets flush type door handles and sleek and sporty designed ORVMs.
At the rear, the SUV has a pair of LED lights connected by the light bar. Lower rear bumper is painted in blank with skid plates.
- Interior: The cabin is minimalistic and cluster free. The dashboard houses free standing screen for the digital instrument cluster and the infotainment system. Ambient lighting is woven on multiple areas while the interior theme is a dual tone affair.
- Platform & Dimensions: Volkswagen I.D.4 will be built on modular electric drive matrix (MEB) platform. The SUV measures 4,584 mm in length, is 1,852 mm wide and 1,612 mm tall. Wheelbase measures 2,766 mm while the SUV gets quite healthy boot space of 543 litre. Ground clearance of SUV is 210 mm.
- Features: Top features of upcoming VW electric SUV in India are ambient lighting, LED headlamps and tail lamps, dual zone climate control system, panoramic sunroof, multiple airbags, reverse parking camera, wireless charging, connected car technology among others.
- Electric Motor & Battery Details: As of now, Volkswagen ID.4 comes with just a single powertrain option that gets a rear mounted electric motor. AWD variant is expected to debut in next 3 months only. With the Rear Wheel Drive configuration, the SUV can sprint from 0 to 100 kmph in 8.5 seconds. Battery capacity is 77 kWh and on a single charge, claimed range is 520 kms. Output figures are 201 BHP and 310 NM torque.
- Expected Price: Volkswagen ID.4 will be brought to the Indian shores as a Completely Built Unit (CBU) and is expected to be priced around Rs 60 lakhs (Ex Showroom).
- Launch Date: Volkswagen India will introduce the ID.4 electric SUV in 2022, expected to be on sale by mid 2022.
7. New Volkswagen Polo
Volkswagen Polo has been in the Indian market for more than 12 years as of now. Now finally after excruciating wait, the carmakers are finally bringing all new generation of the hatchback soon. Here are all the details:
- Exterior: Beginning from the front profile, Polo now gets sleeker and sharp headlamps with slim DRLs and the unit joins the front grille which has now single slat chrome running. Sharp cuts and creases runs throughout the hatchback. Alloy wheels goes well with overall nature of the car. No changes have been made to the rear profile except all new design for the tail lights.
- Interior: The cabin of Volkswagen Polo will undergo a major change. Steering wheel unit is a continued unit from the current gen Polo while infotainment system is now placed above the central ac vents. Contrasting silver accents will be used all around.
- Dimensions: With the generation update, Polo will grow in dimensions whether it is length, width, height or wheelbase, everything will increase and the space for the rear occupants won’t much be an issue now.
- Platform: Volkswagen Polo has always been a solidly built up car and now the carmakers will form the base of Polo with MQB A0 IN platform which is again really rigid. This time around the hatchback will have in excess of 95% of localisation.
- Features: Some of features that will be offered this time around are digital instrument cluster, 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, 6 speakers, connected car technology, LED headlamps, front parking sensors, 6 airbags and much more is expected on the list.
- Engine Options: The current spec Polo comes with 1.0-litre naturally aspirated 3 cylinder MPI (75 BHP / 95 NM) petrol engine for the lower trims while the higher variant comes available with TSI turbo unit generating 109 BHP and 175 NM of torque.
- With the update, Polo is likely to be available with the same set of petrol engines while there is also possibility of keeping the 1.5-litre TSI unit (148 BHP / 250 NM) to the range topping trim.
- Expected Price: According to Volkswagen, 2022 Polo will get a premium price sticker. Currently retailing between Rs 6.01 Lakhs for the base variant and Rs 9.93 lakhs for the GT TSI trim, New polo pricing will commence somewhere around Rs 6.5 lakhs with the fully feature rich model expected to get a price tag of Rs 10.5 lakhs (All Prices, Ex Showroom).
- Launch Date: Volkswagen India will introduce new generation variant of Polo by the festive season of next year. When launched, it will continue its rivalry with Hyundai i20, Tata Altroz, Maruti Baleno, Honda Jazz.
Also Read: Upcoming Honda Cars in India
Also Read: Upcoming SUVs Under 7 lakh in India